Friday 24 September 2010

The Fashion And The Cigarette


Inspired by today's first official uni class of my second year (which by the way was terrifying due to the huge workload I will be facing now) and my visit to London Fashion Week, today that little charming cigarette crossed my mind.
I started smoking when I was about 13 and have been quitting on and off since I was about 16. 
Let me tell you, it's not easy. Somehow the ability to force all of the health scares of cig bums into oblivion is quite easy.
And Marlboros/Camel/Brand X is de jour on the fashion scene.
Here a possible explanation:
A. Stress relief. Major factor for me. Lighting up a cigarette on the balcony is the perfect way for me to think things over.
B. It looks cool. You may be shaking your head in disbelief, but come on, it does.
C. It helps you maintain your weight. Duuuhhh that's why models smoke. No need for food when you can chew on an ashtray. Although I think this is a reason why a lot of women hesitate to quit because of the dooming five pounds they could gain.

So far I am a few weeks into quitting. The longest I have been able to do it is 1.5 years. 
But it's so easy to light up again. Quitting feels like a punishment and denying myself a simple pleasure. Which sounds so logical, because cancer, heart disease, bad breath and an empty wallet are such enjoyable things.
I curse the day I met you Marlboro reds.

Image via graememitchell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...